Thinking About the Unthinkable


Though we do not like to think about these things, we should be aware of what to do in the event of the death of a pensioner.


The Allstream Consultant Towers and Perrin should be notified at 1-800-276-7630. Towers and Perrin will ask appropriate questions and provide guidance.  Bear in mind Allstream Pensioners are covered by a Company insurance policy, which varies in accordance to the terms which applied at the time of retirement.  Also a surviving spouse will continue to receive the deceased pensioner's pension, but at a reduced rate, unless otherwise pre-arranged.


Canada Pension 1-800-277-9914 should be notified. Canada Pension will ask for the deceased's Social Insurance Number.  At this time you should ask for a Death Benefit and Survivor Benefit Package  (These packages are also available at the funeral home).


For death benefit your survivor would receive Funeral Expenses 6 times the monthly Canada Pension payment or $2.500, whichever is less.


This is a one time only payment and is taxable.  In addition the Survivor Pension form must be completed, assuring the Surviving spouse  60% of the deceased pensioner's Canada Pension (subject to Canada Pension maximums).


Old Age Security should also be notified.  OAS ends with death of the recipient.  Cheques issued in the month in which the death occurs may be kept.  Telephone number for Old Age Security is the same as for Canada Pension 1-800-277-9914.

Where there is a surviving spouse, the applicable provincial health plan administrator should be advised of the change in status.


For information on government agencies, telephone Communications Canada at 1-800-622-6232 (1-800 0 CANADA) or check the Federal Government website at        



Date this page was last Updated

11/08/09 08:54:48 AM